Please note that students who join our free Coding Bootcamp Prep course after September 4th, 2018, will not have to worry about GitHub.com. We will teach you more about the platform and its usability as you join us in our paid programs.
These are the steps you need to take if you would like to change your GitHub username, but keep your GitHub account:
- Go to GitHub and change username
- Log out of Learn and then log back in via GitHub.
- Log out of the Learn IDE and then log back in.
- If you are currently working on any repositories, you will have to update the remote URL for those repos to be able to contact GitHub.
- If you are hosting a blog from your GitHub, you will have to update the repository name of your blog to reflect your username change. In order to do this, go to GitHub and find the repository for your blog
old_github_name.github.ioand change it to
new_github_name.github.io(skip this step if you don't have a github.io repository before changing your GitHub username).
- If you created your account before July 27, 2015 and you are using the IDE please contact support after taking steps 1-5 as we will need to provision your IDE with the new username.