Our Educational Coaches both support and challenge our students to make forward progress in pursuit of their goals. They will help you adopt behaviors that foster the successful and timely completion of the Online Software Engineering Bootcamp or the Online Data Science Bootcamp, and serve as an accountability partner along the way.
What can you expect from your Educational Coach?
Within your first week on Learn, you can expect to hear from your coach via email with an invitation to schedule your Kickoff Session. You can expect to schedule this session in the following 1-2 weeks, typically during the workweek. (In the interim, you should go ahead and dive into the curriculum!)
Your Educational Coach will partner with you from your Kickoff Session until you become eligible for Career Coaching towards the end of the program.
You can expect your coach to:
- Be fully present, radiate positivity, and provide consistent accountability support around the goals you set for yourself.
- Ask tough questions about the blocks that sometimes hold us back in taking on a tough challenge.
- Help you identify and access the various resources available to you and make the most of the Flatiron community of support.
- Provide a space to celebrate your progress and acknowledge key milestones.
- Challenge you to be your best.
- Cheer you on along the way.
Educational Coaches do not provide direct technical support or instruction, counseling or therapy services to students.
What do coaches expect of Flatiron students?
Know that a coaching relationship is a collaborative one, and the more you put into it the more you will get out of it. Ask questions, challenge your coaches point of view, share thoughts or resources that you’ve found, and share your ideas and insights along the way!
When working with your Educational coach, you will be expected to:
- Show up on time for all scheduled appointments. If you are running late or need to cancel for any reason, communicate.
- Be attentive and focused during meetings with your coach — just like you are while you’re studying.
- Communicate honestly, be open to feedback and assistance.
- Reach out to your coach when you are feeling challenged or overwhelmed by the goals that you have set.
- Bring updates on key goals as discussed with your coach.
- If you’d prefer to approach your studies independently and opt-out of Educational Coaching, let us know.
How can I sign up to meet with an Educational Coach?
As a new student with Flatiron, you will be assigned an Educational Coach shortly after starting the program. If you’d like to get in touch with the coaching team, you can reach out to us at email@example.com.
I have previously opted out of Educational Coaching. How can I reactivate?
If you’ve opted out of Educational Coaching in the past, and you’d like to reconnect, send a quick email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d love to hear from you!
Who are the Educational Coaches?
Our team of coaches come from a variety of backgrounds, ranging from law to entrepreneurship to psychotherapy, and importantly share a common drive to help our students succeed.